2017 Summer Innovation Program
The 2017 MassDiGI Summer Innovation Program (SIP) is a twelve-week internship program that includes the mentoring, guidance, housing, stipends and game development tools to help student teams finalize an original digital game and prepare it for launch.
- A chance to work on a game prototype from the ground up
- Work with a team of students to help create the next big hit
- Industry mentors to help guide you
- A free place to live and a stipend
This is not just another internship but a chance to hold the fate of a game in your hands. There are mentors and faculty to help you – but in the end it is up to your team to build a successful game.
- The 2017 SIP application period will open January 2, 2017 and close March 15, 2017 at 11:59 pm ET. Successful applicants will be informed on or before March 29, 2017.
- SIP17 runs from May 16 to August 13. Please read the FAQ’s before applying.
Who can participate?
The Summer Innovation Program is open to students who will be entering their sophomore, junior or senior year (and graduate students, too) at a regionally-accredited college or university.* Students must be able to commit full-time to a typical work week for the entire duration of program – from May 16 to August 13, 2017. Certain eligibility requirements, as noted above and in the application, must be met.
The application process is very competitive. For example, last year 216 students from 66 different colleges and universities as well as several countries applied for the 24 available slots. For more information on the 2016 program please visit our blog.
What disciplines can apply?
Students studying game design, development, programming, animation, art, production and computer science will make up most of the teams, but there is room for marketers, writers and musicians, as well as others, too.
What will you build?
In addition to team-generated projects, on occasion, MassDiGI also works with a number of sponsors that are building everything from mobile entertainment games to educational titles. You will work on a team that is focused on one title – though you will have a chance to help out on some of the other titles.
What is the deal with a free place to live?
Becker College, MassDiGI’s founding academic partner, contributes housing on its Worcester, MA campus for SIP students in a residence hall/dormitory.
Wait, does this include food?
No, we do not have the ability to provide meals on campus. There are a number of local restaurants and grocery stores as well as kitchen facilities in the residence hall/dormitory.
What does this cost?
Nothing. In fact, you will receive a modest bi-weekly stipend for your work.
What is a stipend?
Money. You will receive around $175 per week for the 12 work weeks. The exact stipend amount will be determined by April 30, 2017.
Where have SIP alumni gone on to work?
SIP alumni have gone on to work at a range of companies including Sony, Google, 2K, Nickelodeon, USA Today, Harmonix, Disruptor Beam, Microsoft, Facebook, MIT Lincoln Lab, Amazon, Warner Bros., Wooga, Uber, Pilot Studio, SAP, Jibo and Hasbro or startup their own studios such as Zephyr Workshop, Starcap and Petricore.
Do I have to be a student at Becker to participate?
No. The program is open to all college students who will be entering at least their sophomore, junior or senior year (and graduate students too) at a regionally-accredited college or university.*
How many students are accepted into the program?
We plan to accept 24 students.
* The regional-accreditation requirement does not apply for applicants enrolled in non-US institutions. International students must handle their own visas and documents as required.
Are you a company looking to sponsor the program? All sponsors receive:
- Branding on the MassDiGI website and at events
- Opportunity to provide inserts for attendees to the Game Challenge event
- Prominent branding in all messaging related to the program
- Invitations to the SIP Open House
- And more!
Please contact Monty Sharma (monty.sharma(at)massdigi.org) if you would like more information on SIP or sponsorship.